Living on the Salish Sea (Orcas Island and now Port Townsend, WA) I find myself fascinated by what I see along the shoreline: piles of kelp glistening in the sun, rocks and pebbles washed by the waves, waves crashing on the shore, and sunsets on the water. In Port Townsend, I discovered beaches at low tide with seaweed of all colors and textures laid out on the sand in beautiful compositions. I started photographing these images and gradually found myself translating them to my weaving.
In addition to wandering the shoreline, I spend time hiking in the mountains which provides me with more rich textures and colors to explore in my weaving: snow covered peaks, mossy rocks, wildflowers, roaring rivers, and forests green and fire-scorched.
Just as seaweed changes color and shape as it dries, I experiment with weaving with yarns and structures that change shape when I take them off the loom, wash, and dry them: some yarns shrink, some bubble, and some twist. Although many weavings have strict horizontal and vertical lines, I love to break away from those structures and find ways to create angled or undulating lines.
An empty loom demands a new design and eventually a concrete project emerges, each with unique puzzles to solve. A piece may be driven by an image, a new technique, or colors and textures of yarn from my closet. I inherited not only my mom’s looms, but also an amazing array of yarns that provide a breadth of colors and textures that demand experimentation and always whisper encouragement.
- October 2017 Northwind Arts Center: "Smile: Whimsy and Humor"
- June 2017 Northwind Arts Center: "Alchemy of the Abstract"
- March 2017 Northwind Arts Center: "Wind and Water"
- March 2017 Schack Art Center, Everett, WA: "Fiber Fusion"
- December 2016 Confluence Gallery, Twisp, WA: "One Foot Cubed"
- October-December 2016, Sequim City Hall
- October 2016 Northwind Arts Center: "Poem Inspired"
- March 2016 Northwind Arts Center: "Radical Change"
- June 2015 Northwind Arts Center: "Alchemy of the Abstract VII"
- March 2015 Northwind Arts Center: "Book Inspired"
- December 2014 Northwind Arts Center: "Small Expressions"
- September-November 2017 Port Angeles Fine Arts Center: "Fiber Revolution" ** Awarded People's Choice
- February-June 2017 Port Townsend Library: "Surface Design at the Carnegie"
- August-September 2016 Port Angeles Public Library: "National Parks"
- August-September 2015 Surface Design Association “Liquid Planet” at Pippa’s Tea House, Port Townsend WA
- January-February 2015 Surface Design Association at Port Angeles Public Library
- May 2013 Pacific Northwest Art School Member Exhibit, Coupeville, WA ** Awarded “Best of Fiber Art”
- December-March 2017, Taps at the Guardhouse in Fort Worden, Port Townsend
- December 2009 Port Angeles Fine Arts Center: "Art is a Gift"
- 2008-Present Studio Sales, Port Townsend
- 2008-2010 Monsoon, Port Townsend